Thread: Please. Your thoughts on joining Monthly Challenges.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post I love the challenges

I love and live for the challenges. In roughly 14 months as a member, I've participated in 11 challenges. I've won two, and I'm proud of that, noteably, however, those winning months had far fewer challengers. I keep participating not to gain more "wins", so much as opportunities to try different kinds of maps. And yes, my skills improve all the time. The deadline keeps me focused. Everything learned in participating in the challenge goes to the attributes needed for creating maps for commission.

Don't get intimidated, just get involved, as Del said it, entering a map gives you improved skills, confidence and satisfaction in doing your best on a completed map, no matter how the voting goes. No one will be disappointed by you entering the challenge, no matter what level your mapping skills are, everyone will grow from the experience.

I prefer the multi-vote poll, and keeping it honest is fine for me - there's plenty of choices on winning maps this month, and the possibility of 5 votes has me thinking where to put them already.

Final point - I have heard some whining, I think back in the January 08 challenge of something like, "Gamerprinter is entering again, when will I ever win a challenge...".

Don't be intimidated by me or anyone participating - like I said, in 11 challenges I've won two - I've lost more than I've won. The odds of winning are as much as anyone's who comes up with a good idea and executes it well. This could be you (directed at the lurkers who don't participate...)!

Maybe I push the envelope alittle on some challenges, it just makes the challenge more exciting for everyone.

Come up with an idea, post a brief in a new challenge thread - even if you haven't started your map, ask questions and tips on direction, tools. After a day or two post your results no matter how bad you think it looks. We'll help you out. You got 25 days to get it done, and keep asking questions - before long you'll be creating a masterpiece.

I am just as happy giving someone a winning idea or tip for their entry that let's them beat me in a challenge! Come on guys, participate!

GP
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 09-26-2008 at 12:15 AM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations