Thread: Goblin Lair

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Apprentice

I suppose I could rough up the caverns a little more, make them more angular, although since this is a lair, maybe the goblins smoothed out the walls somewhat to make it more habitable... maybe they didn't, though, they're goblins!

I'm not sure what color I could make the torch holders to make them stand out a little more... any suggestions on that?

Guild Journeyer

Oh the shape of the caves is great, I meant the texture.

I'd just put the torches close against the cave wall like in all the movies.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

oh ya... leave it the way it is for sure... I was just suggesting it for a next map... that one has come along to far to go in and mess up the walls just because I personally think they aren't rough enough ... no no no.... won't have it...

Really solid map.

No real criticisms.

If you want some stylistic tweaks:

I'd reduce the dominance of the earth texture after about 2 feet of wall. The strong crack pattern sort of detracts from the main focus.

I'm assuming the left section with the squares are sleeping mats of some sort? ? If they are not really ungoblin you might want to reduce their perfect straightness and\or give em some dirt.

On the right you have a couple of circles that look like barrels. You might want to gunge them up a bit and at least turn em a bit so that the grain is not identical on each one. Unless thats intentional for some reason.

Still either way I like the map.

Sigurd

Guild Apprentice

Here's what I'd like, and I don't know if it exists, but a way to put a random rotation on an object within gimp. It's really a pain to rotate things manually and hope for randomness, it would be nice if I could get some kind of filter or script that would put random spin on something. Any ideas on that?

It would be pretty easy to go back in and dirty up some of the stuff, I've gotten some good "dirt" overlays that I could just drag onto the sleeping mats.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by xv43 View Post
    Here's what I'd like, and I don't know if it exists, but a way to put a random rotation on an object within gimp. It's really a pain to rotate things manually and hope for randomness, it would be nice if I could get some kind of filter or script that would put random spin on something. Any ideas on that?

It would be pretty easy to go back in and dirty up some of the stuff, I've gotten some good "dirt" overlays that I could just drag onto the sleeping mats.
    RobA is your Gimp Script Fu Master.

Here are my comments - again probably for the next map.

The background wall texture is too bright and distracting where all the beef is in the dark hidden away bits. Try a dark background wall and the map will pop out and look better.

The shadow on the bevel on the walls is lit but the shadow on the floor of the map is uniform in all directions. Because of this it looks like the walls are not connected to the floor and float above it.

The background texture is a bit too clean and also kinda too repeating. Try blending two or three different textures together next time or take the one and scale it to three different sizes that dont multiply together well - like 1, 1.27 and 1.74 or something like that. The blend will make the pattern not repeat any more. I use and send textures too www.cgtextures.com they have zillions of free ones to send you into a dizzy spell just deciding which one is better.

In general its a good map and I am going to bonk you with my +3 mace of repping. Look forward to your next one.

Guild Apprentice

Sweet, I hadn't seen that cqtextures site, thanks for the tip.

I'm gonna see if I can't figure out if a script to randomly rotate exists, or if I can't figure out how to make my own... failing that, maybe I'll PM RobA about it.

I need to look into blending textures, I'm not sure how to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by xv43 View Post
    Sweet, I hadn't seen that cqtextures site, thanks for the tip.

I'm gonna see if I can't figure out if a script to randomly rotate exists, or if I can't figure out how to make my own... failing that, maybe I'll PM RobA about it.

I need to look into blending textures, I'm not sure how to do that.
    I guess the question would be, is each object on its own layer? That would be simple enough to script. If, however there are multiple objects all flattened onto the same layer it would be more difficult...

-Rob A>

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

The light wall texture really jumps out. I'd drop it darker than the caverns and desaturate it. The eye tends to get drawn to the bright colourful areas of a map so I tend to try to make the focus the lightest and most colourful part.

Other than that general comment - that's a good first map. Definitely very usable.