Okay, so I finally found time to get around to trying to install Python so I can use the python scripts in GIMP. (Until now, I'd just accumulated a bunch of scripts in my downloads folder.)

So... apparently I ran into a problem. I installed Python, no problem, I now have Python on my system. It's not Python 2.5.2, but 2.5.4, as that was the only 2.5-level version available on that site.

Then I installed gtk+. When I went to the runtime link, it sent me to a place where I downloaded gtk-2.12.9-win32-1. So I installed that.

Next for the other three, PyCairo, PyGTK, and PyGObject.

There were several selections available here, some ending with a file name descriptor of py2.6 and some with a descriptor of py2.5. I went with the 2.5 versions.

When I installed each of these, I got a succession of three error messages. I didn't keep an accurate note of what these errors were. It was the same three for each item, and started with a "could not create... yada yada yada".

I clicked "OK" through the errors, and it completed the install. Apparently, not really, though, it just told me it did.

So, I have a few python scripts now sitting in my GIMP Scripts folder (same place as all the scm files that are showing just fine), but I can find none of the scripts. I'm guessing... something went wrong with the install. I had reinstalled GIMP as directed, and it did not have the Python options greyed-out, so I assumed that despite the three error messages mentioned above, maybe everything was alright. But alas, it is not.

So... What do you think I did wrong? I'm guessing the problem must have been with the GTK+... but I'm not sure.