Quote Originally Posted by isomage View Post
...I just reimplemented the planet name generator from Elite (there's source code floating around on the web somewhere).
Dang, I searched for that and mentioned it in my thread but I couldn't find the code. I remember it being cool so no wonder your names were pretty good. Now I know its out there ill try again. Wikipedia mentioned it but didnt have any link to it.

It generates PostScript which is then filtered through GhostScript to produce the PDF.
I had a friend once that used to program in postscript on the printer - as in use the printers CPU to generate patterns, fractal and other itterative ones, which it then printed. So you must be running your cgi script as a full exe not a perl/PHP thing then unless there is some nice interface to Ghostscript from a script. I am pretty sure I could not do that with my web provider as they only install a certain limited set of perl modules. Well, if your able to tell us more about the process that would be interesting. I thought it was quite impressive - what you have done is a bit harder than people might realize.

Done!
Cool and I see Robs already provided the demo I reckon that your page will see a lot of use with Robs script too.