Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
I would suggest start by getting RobA's Subterrainian Map Prettier Script. Find a link to it and tons of other scripts here. Next is to get some textures(for the script) and some objects from where ever you can legally get them. rpgmapshare.com, cgtextures.com, gmsapprentice.com... I am sure there are others.

If you are new to GIMP, read follow RobA's tutorial for a Regional map. Even if you don't want or need a regional map or don't like the style it is a great way to learn a ton of things about GIMP in a short amount of time. And of course, I can't suggest my Layer Masks Tutorial enough

Create a work in progress thread in the appropriate forum and we will be happy to help with you on your progress.
I must agree with everything jfrazierjr mentioned here. Especially the bit about the script and tutorial by RobA. JF's layer tut is "adequate" as well . I would also add that Isomage has created a decent plugin for generating a random cave. Combined with the script, It is REALLY easy to create realistic cave that will blow gamers away. The script can work with any black and white floor plan as well.

Just a few suggestions to get you on your way

Glad to have you here