Yes that is a concern I would share too. One of the things that has happened with the CWBP is that there is very little activity of mapping within it. I think that having an evolving story within places in it would give some more incentive to map those areas. I reckon the biggest incentive to map something tho is when you need it to play in that area. So I think its a double edged sword. You would get a lot of non mappers waiting for new maps to be made by others which is not really very constructive but I think you would get a lot of mapping done at character level which is where its needed the most. Ok so we might not expect that all the maps would look great but I think even if we had rough pencil maps of houses, cave systems and so on then it could be used as a template to make that into a better map.

I think the wikipedia is a good example. Almost all of the people who edit it have no interest in making encyclopedias and only the tiniest fraction of people who look at it would want to contribute to it and also of all the contributions, most are pretty bad to start with and get refined progressively. But its still a great success despite it all.

I guess it depends on what each sees the target of the CWBP to be. For me, I would like to see it as a complete living world where its constantly being added to, updated and used.

I reckon if it were played in then I would hope that many non participants would follow some of the groups within it too.

Heres a question to throw out there... is anyone currently using the CWBP as a campaign region ?