Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Greetings and salutations!

The colored sea contours are typically done manually. I think the CC3 tutorials show this, but it's been a while since I've done much with CC3, I will admit. If you can afford the annuals for CC3, they have a great deal of information on various styles, including one similar to this (again, it's been a while).

I suposed I could code up a filter that would do these sorts of things automatically (sort of like the inverse of the lighted bevel mountains trick), but I have such a long list of things that I'm behind on for ProFantasy that I'm not sure another one would help.

Actually that sounds like a great idea. I should totally look at some maps from Gothic/Elder Scrolls/Neverwinter and the list goes on before I begin some work.
    Still waiting for a solution on the water though.

Also, can anyone tell me how different users of CC3 get very different results in map-making? For example, take a look at these maps:
    - Map 1 (Great piece. Looks a lot like the one I made, theme-wise)
    - Map 2 (Another great one, the theme is very different though, great mountains.. I don't have those, how would one get them?)
    - Map 3 (There is little to say about this one. The mountains are just magnificent.)
    - Map 4 (Again, a great piece overall, looks like everything fits into it.)

Are these... symbol catalogues, for lack of a better definition, downloadable somewhere?

Later edit:
    Thank you very much for the info, waldronate. And all of you who posted so far.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Yep, those are add-ons. They should be on their website or in the Annuals (something like a yearly mailer that has stuff in it). One of the CC guys will know exactly where to get em.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Member

Quote Originally Posted by Painkillah View Post
    @silverhead:
    Ahora vivo en España pero no estoy de aqui.
    I live in Spain now but I ain't originally spanish.
    Ooops. Sorry then. I'll keep on mourning the scarcity of spanish members :-)

Blog Entries

There are the art packs for CC3 of course, plus there are a lot of lovely graphics available on the Dunjinni forums under user art, although that program and therefore the art you'll find there is for dungeon-scale or large-scale town work rather than regional or continental maps. I truly wish we did have a group of devoted element crafters here like they do there, constantly coming up with mountains and trees and roses and such, but our needs are much more broad, with less homage paid to realism over artistry. Still, I think there's a market here for elements.

Oh, and my run-on sentences are no extra charge.

@silverhead:
    Keep lookin' for them. Might pop up when/where you least expect.
    I know I'm surprised to see an english speaking spanish person where said population is low.

And thank you all for the info. I'll get some work done right away. Looking forward to posting an early version of one of my maps in the proper WIP section and I'm sure as hell looking forward to your comments on it.

Later edit:
    Posted the WIP. Click here to jump to the thread.
    Last edited by Painkillah; 07-20-2009 at 11:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Immolate View Post
    I truly wish we did have a group of devoted element crafters here like they do there, constantly coming up with mountains and trees and roses and such, but our needs are much more broad, with less homage paid to realism over artistry.
    There was a CL discussion on having an element request forum, but it was decided that other sites (like the DJ forums) tended to fill this better.

...Though requests posted in the relevant mapping forum usually get a response

-Rob A>

Quote Originally Posted by Painkillah View Post
    Actually that sounds like a great idea. I should totally look at some maps from Gothic/Elder Scrolls/Neverwinter and the list goes on before I begin some work.
    Still waiting for a solution on the water though.

Also, can anyone tell me how different users of CC3 get very different results in map-making? For example, take a look at these maps:
    - Map 1 (Great piece. Looks a lot like the one I made, theme-wise)
    - Map 2 (Another great one, the theme is very different though, great mountains.. I don't have those, how would one get them?)
    - Map 3 (There is little to say about this one. The mountains are just magnificent.)
    - Map 4 (Again, a great piece overall, looks like everything fits into it.)

Are these... symbol catalogues, for lack of a better definition, downloadable somewhere?

Later edit:
    Thank you very much for the info, waldronate. And all of you who posted so far.
    The maps use different symbols and styles.
    Most of the new symbols come from the Symbol Sets and most of the new styles come from the Annuals (those also adds symbols on occassion).

Symbol Set 1:
    http://www.profantasy.com/products/ss1.asp

Annuals:
    http://www.profantasy.com/products/sub.asp
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12