Thread: Greetings and salutations!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Thank you all very much!
    I humbly request mercy from the River Police.

Great pointers guys, I will keep them in mind next time I go about creating rivers. I know that water flows downhill but I guess I was too excited to make a map with CC3 for the first time and I overlooked that bit focusing more on adding a sheet glow to the rivers and have them flow around some more to create a better looking area.

Here's a question related to the topic of rivers forking downhill. I'm not saying it applies on my map; mine are honest mistakes. Is it possible to make them fork downstream by human involvment?
    Let's say there's a river flowing close to the woods and most of the area is innacessible because of rocks/mountains. Is it plausible to say that the humans living close to the woods deviated most of the river (ditch digging, blocking it with rocks and so on) so that they can build a lumber camp there? Or any other reason why humans would want to do that for that matter.

@silverhead:
    Ahora vivo en España pero no estoy de aqui.
    I live in Spain now but I ain't originally spanish.

@waldronate:
    Is that done manually? Or is it an automate sort of thing, like the glowing of the land sheet for example? It seems that the depth layers are following the land countour quite well.
    Maybe you could be a little more specific? I am rather new.

And a very big thank you to all of you for the warm welcome.
    I will soon begin working on a map for a project and I'm sure your pointers will make it better!

Blog Entries

You can make a river do whatever you want but a naturally occurring river in its normal amount of rainfall conditions after a long while will always pick one of the two forks and the other will dry. You can dam a river and create a channel which is much less than its capable capacity and tap that bit off for say a water mill. Also if a lot of rain falls then banks overflow and it goes everywhere for a short while. But in a geological time frame - there can be only one.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

As far as humans interfering with the natural course of a river...sure it can be done. It requires enormous amounts of time and labor. And that means it also requires a vast amount of either slaves or money in a pre-technological culture. The thing from a mapping standpoint that you need to concern yourself with is how this alteration will affect where the river goes from there. If it's rather close to a coast then it's most likely no big deal but if it's way inland then you should plan to maybe make the diverted river rejoin the main/previous river channel or all heck could break loose downstream.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Member

Quote Originally Posted by Painkillah View Post
    @silverhead:
    Ahora vivo en España pero no estoy de aqui.
    I live in Spain now but I ain't originally spanish.
    Ooops. Sorry then. I'll keep on mourning the scarcity of spanish members :-)

Blog Entries

There are the art packs for CC3 of course, plus there are a lot of lovely graphics available on the Dunjinni forums under user art, although that program and therefore the art you'll find there is for dungeon-scale or large-scale town work rather than regional or continental maps. I truly wish we did have a group of devoted element crafters here like they do there, constantly coming up with mountains and trees and roses and such, but our needs are much more broad, with less homage paid to realism over artistry. Still, I think there's a market here for elements.

Oh, and my run-on sentences are no extra charge.

@silverhead:
    Keep lookin' for them. Might pop up when/where you least expect.
    I know I'm surprised to see an english speaking spanish person where said population is low.

And thank you all for the info. I'll get some work done right away. Looking forward to posting an early version of one of my maps in the proper WIP section and I'm sure as hell looking forward to your comments on it.

Later edit:
    Posted the WIP. Click here to jump to the thread.
    Last edited by Painkillah; 07-20-2009 at 11:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Immolate View Post
    I truly wish we did have a group of devoted element crafters here like they do there, constantly coming up with mountains and trees and roses and such, but our needs are much more broad, with less homage paid to realism over artistry.
    There was a CL discussion on having an element request forum, but it was decided that other sites (like the DJ forums) tended to fill this better.

...Though requests posted in the relevant mapping forum usually get a response

-Rob A>