Thread: Haibianr - WIP city map

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip Little update

Hi all,
    Little update. After playing for a long while with several "filter-generated" maps I've decided that I want to play with a more hand-drawn style.

I'm quite taken with the "Carthusal" map by Aerius (link). The style reminds me of a couple of illustrators' works from Heavy Metal (brain like a sieve...maybe a French guy).

Anyway. I'm not trying to copy this style 100% (not that I could) but I'm just playing around to see what I can come up with. This snip is a zoom in (200%) of the western island in progress. The buildings are roughed in using small square brushes on a layer with a stroke and drop shadow style. I kind of like the way the bridge walls turned out.

I'm not sure what the final look will be but I'll probably refine the shapes and then add details and shading to the roofs after I've got the buildings roughed in. Tried bevel but didn't like it so I will most likely shade by hand. I reckon this is kind of the long way around - I could probably just color in a big patch, remove "alleyways" with the eraser, and then recolor buildings...but I'm just playing around so I don't mind spending some time exploring.

Any comments, questions, or tips appreciated. Thanks!
    M
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	city_snip.PNG 
Views:	148 
Size:	416.1 KB 
ID:	16952