Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_Wilson63 View Post
So today I fired up Inkscape again. For the fifth time I went in and tried to do stuff and couldn't. I couldn't resize the sheet, couldn't move the path block, couldn't do a symmetrical resize of the paths, couldn't figure out where paths will be on an exported image, couldn't export just the paths. I looked at the documentation (again) and was still completely baffled. I came to the conclusion that there's something fundamental about this program that completely escapes me. This is more than needing an explanation, there's something about this program that is totally alien to how I think and work.
Wow. Not even sure how to respond to that! I find Inkscape to be simple and intuitive to use

spend a bit of time and watch a few heathenX screencasts on Inkscape http://screencasters.heathenx.org/ to get a better feel for the way the software is meant to be used... that might help. (unless you would prefer to work in text files. I know I like POVRay for 3D rendering, as it is all text file sourced...never got the hang of 3D modelling software...THis could be similar for you!)

Not sure if you are looking for answeres, but for reference...

Resize the sheet -> under document properties, slong with BG colour, units, etc.
Move a path-> with the select tool, click and drag an object to move it.
Resize of path-> Click once with the select tool, (second click would switch to rotate mode). drag a corner arrow to rescale. Either use the padlock in the infobar at the top to lock the X and Y aspect, or just hold the ctrl key down while dragging. There are some toggles to select if strokes, patterns or other things scale when scaling an object.

Export a bitmap->If you export an object, you get a rectangular png that matches the bounding box of the object, Selection gives you the bounding box of the selection, page gives you the page (as defined under document properties).

hth,

-Rob A>