Thread: A new mini-tut on sat-style mountains

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

14. Select - Color Range = black with a fuzziness of 200. Hit the delete key two times then deselect.

15. If your mountains didn't come out where you wanted them (because of too many layers of white lines requiring more and more difference clouds) then there's an easy fix. Click on the Lasso Tool and at the top of the screen set the feather to 50 px. Drag a loop around a chunk of mountain and drag it to where you want it then deselect.

16. If you have your document set up with a base layer (basically the land shape), like in my previous tuts, then you can get rid of mountains over the ocean quite easily. For a quick refresher here's how: on the layer stack ctrl + click on the base layer, Select - Inverse, hit the delete key then deselect.

17. Now grab the Eraser Tool and set it as the 100 pixel soft round airbrush tip. Erase any unwanted mountains. Here's what I have in screen 6.

18. Let's bring the mountains to life with some layer styles. First is an Inner Glow of a dark brown (hex code 402707 - rgb 64, 39, 7) set to multiply at 100% and a size of 10. Next is a Color Overlay of a medium brown (hex code 5A461E - rgb 90, 70, 30) set to soft light at 100% opacity. Finally is a Bevel and Emboss of Inner Bevel - leave the defaults as is but change the technique to Chisel Soft and set the size at 10. Lastly, duplicate this layer to magnify the effects. Here's what I have in screen 7.

19. Now it looks a bit fake and plastic so remove the bevel and the inner glow. Duplicate this layer and ctrl + click on it in the layer stack to load a selection. Select - Inverse. Hit the delete key ten times then deselect...this leaves white peaks as in screen 8.

20. Going through my usual satellite style here's the finished product in screen 9, which I messed around with for about an hour and a half.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screen 6.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	19781   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screen 7.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	1.71 MB 
ID:	19782   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screen 8.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	1.62 MB 
ID:	19784   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screen 9.jpg 
Views:	430 
Size:	2.17 MB 
ID:	19786  
    Last edited by Ascension; 12-27-2009 at 12:21 PM.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps