Thread: How can I measure travel distance on electronic maps?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    You need python installed, and gimp installed with python support to use python plugins. It isn't simple in windows, but I can point you in the right direction if desired.

regarding a script, Fencepost has a path animation script suite (scripts here, tutorial here) that includes a "Path Details" function (right click on a path and select Path Details that will give you the length in pixels, the number of points and the closed status.

-Rob A>
    I took another look at Gimp's Python requirements and found that I was missing the pyGtk. Even with that corrected (Python-fu now shows up in the filters list) the first "measure active path" .py I downloaded didn't work. I moved on to the script you suggested and it does work. I have to determine the scale of distance units per pixel and perform some calculations, but it's still better than guessing.

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    We talked before about measuring the amount of area within a map and we came up with a cool method which was really fast . . . . Multiply by pixels per m scale and thats real length on map.
    This works too. I used a 1 pixel wide brush and then I just took the number of black pixels and multiplied by pixels per mile (we still love our imperial units here in the U.S.).

Is there any need to use a brush wider than 1 pixel when determining length?
    Last edited by CyrusStonecypher; 02-12-2010 at 01:42 PM.