Thread: The best mapping software for my wierd priorities?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

I'd actualy suggest Gimp. I know it can do 10,000 times more things than what you require, but it can do the simple stuff too. I'll put together a short guideline for you if you like. Do you want the blue lines, or would you prefer black?

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    I'd actualy suggest Gimp. I know it can do 10,000 times more things than what you require, but it can do the simple stuff too. I'll put together a short guideline for you if you like. Do you want the blue lines, or would you prefer black?
    I rather like blue, having seen it, but I suspect black will print out better. I would certainly be interested in any guidelines.

jfrazierjr - Yeah, I'm seeing that, and it seems bizarre, because those icons/symbols are still in use (you can buy pre-made maps with them used, still, and D&D4E, for example, encourages you to use them in the DMG). Oh well.

I don't want to sound like a Dungeoncrafter stock holder
    (hahah, a freeware stockholder, that's something I'd do) ...
    but if you use that "Classic TSR" tileset,
    DC answers all your initial requirements perfectly. I mean perfectly!

OK, nuff said.

(Personally, I'd use Illustrator. But it ain't free.)

I'd give dungeonforge a try http://www.dungeonmapping.com/df/public_html/

You have to register on the forums to download, but it is free. Get Dungeonforge, not MapX.

It is a grid based tilemapper. You can also find a whole set of oldschool icons for drag and drop building.

It is also designed for printing.

-Rob A>

Personally my advice is away from the very simple.

Try The Gimp if you have a keen interest to get a project done. Your current project will give you drive to learn the program and the next time you need a graphic you likely will have better skills to make one. Yes it may be more than you need right now but it represents growth for the future.

One simple distinction you should consider is Raster or Vector drawing.

Raster drawing ie Photoshop, Gimp, etc is very free form and colourful. Its arguably easier to paint coloured pixels onto a screen with a raster program - most DMs will find it ideal.
    Its drawbacks mostly come from the jagged edges your image might have if you zoom too far or rotate it.

Corel Draw, Inkscape, and Illustrator use Vector drawing. This sort of emphasizes pattern over colour and splash. Your lines are recorded as formulae in the image. This has the advantage that if you rescale or rotate the image the formula is revisited and clean smooth line is recreated to suite whatever change you've done.
    The drawback of vector drawing IMHO is that the precise lines have to be a little better planned than raster images.

It sounds like either approach will get you where you want to go. I really suggest that you look at your old school maps as a first step on a slow journey. You might as well get a few miles down a productive path rather than learn a dead end simple simple program that fits only your immediate needs.

Sigurd

Just my .02

Torstan - I'd be interested in a short guideline for old school mapping. Don't know if you're going to do it, but you have my vote.

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    I'd give dungeonforge a try http://www.dungeonmapping.com/df/public_html/

You have to register on the forums to download, but it is free. Get Dungeonforge, not MapX.

It is a grid based tilemapper. You can also find a whole set of oldschool icons for drag and drop building.

It is also designed for printing.

-Rob A>
    Just wanted to follow up with an example. Here is a dungeonforge map made using the "Classic TSR tile and object set" available in the download section:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	classictsrsample.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	66.3 KB 
ID:	5086

-Rob A>

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

I'll see what I can put together.

Quote Originally Posted by töff View Post
    I don't want to sound like a Dungeoncrafter stock holder
    ...(Personally, I'd use Illustrator. But it ain't free.)
    There's an Illustrator clone that is freeware. It's called Inkscape.
    Check it out at:

http://www.Inkscape.org