Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Thatching for dummies...

Quote Originally Posted by su_liam View Post
    I think the thatch and the shingles rock. The wood and the blue things still seem... odd. Still, I am in serious want of your script just for the thatch and the shingles! Good work, technical problems or no.
    They are just seamless patterns... The script lets you apply any pattern to a heightfield.

Getting real close now....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	next1.png 
Views:	195 
Size:	595.9 KB 
ID:	10042

Name:	next2.png 
Views:	147 
Size:	548.4 KB 
ID:	10043

-Rob A>

Post 4 applications (n,s,e,w) of photoshop "render lighting"

It seems to me, without having tried it, that the directional masks might be generated more easily from the height map with 4 applications (n,s,e,w) of photoshop's standard "render lighting" filter.

Feel free to Fred Picker Stamp me ...

This is all a very clever idea with great results. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by töff View Post
    It seems to me, without having tried it, that the directional masks might be generated more easily from the height map with 4 applications (n,s,e,w) of photoshop's standard "render lighting" filter.

Feel free to Fred Picker Stamp me ...

This is all a very clever idea with great results. Cheers!
    If I had photoshop, I might try it

I've actually come up with a much better way than the curves I was playing with.

I illuminate (emboss) three copies of the heightfield at 0, 120 and 240 degrees.
    These get combines as RGB layers into a new image.
    That RGB image gets converted into a HSV image and the H layer is grabbed out. This layer represents the direction (without magnitude) of the heightfield as a value from 0 to 255. I then posterize that layer into the number of faces desired, and select each colour sequentially, using that as a mask for rotated copies of the pattern.

It takes a while to run, especially for large images, but I like the results.

And it lets you (if desired) use up to 16 faces when generating the result:

Name:	thatch_16.png 
Views:	144 
Size:	403.5 KB 
ID:	10126

I think I worked out the last couple of bugs on the weekend, so I will post it up, hopefully tomorrow.

-Rob A>

Hi Rob, as a test would you mind running your script against this city which I am in the process of drawing? I'd be interested to see the results. If you need the image manipulated in any way for better results just ask and I'll post it here.

Cheers!

Ravs
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	test city.png 
Views:	156 
Size:	975.3 KB 
ID:	10128  

I'm not sure if the pattern scales works with the map scale...but here is a result running once with the light purple selected and once with the fark purple selected.

I made heightfields with simple shaped spherical gradients based on the selection shape.

Name:	tt.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	695.7 KB 
ID:	10145

-Rob A>

I begin to see why my simpler n,s,e,w idea won't work: the roofing material needs more angles to match huts that are at odd angles.

OT: speaking of odd angles ... @ Ravells ... hey pal, that city is tweaking my head. It almost looks as if the TAN areas should be the buildings ... bcz the PURPLE area are the funkiest shapes for buildings that man or alien has ever seen. But then ... there's tan lines (hahah, I mean lines colored tan) that look like streets ... but are they like tunnels btwn bldgs? Please do explain!

Guild Novice Black Tower of Time's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by töff View Post
    @ Ravells ... hey pal, that city is tweaking my head. It almost looks as if the TAN areas should be the buildings ... bcz the PURPLE area are the funkiest shapes for buildings that man or alien has ever seen. But then ... there's tan lines (hahah, I mean lines colored tan) that look like streets ... but are they like tunnels btwn bldgs? Please do explain!
    Hmm Purple and Tan colour? Hmm for me its just grey for the building arias and light sand yellow for the streets.
    But your true when looking on the "rendered" version of RobA the buildings look strange. But I think this is that the building aria has been used as "one" building for test purpose. Maybe run RobA's Tutorial/Script method using Mosaic Filter to make building patterns for cities would gave a better result as you got a more regular structured pattern of single houses.
    But on the other side I don't know about the maps cultural background so the strange look of the buildings basic form may be intended to be.
    I am new in this aria so be a nice guide

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast