Quote Originally Posted by töff View Post
One path for the shape, offset that path twice to make 3 tracks, then use multiple stroke styles? Nice! Did you place the numbers manually?
Essentially, yep! The spaces themselves are a pattern brush, but I did place all the type manually. The arrows in the corners actually took the longest, since I had to cut the path into many, many little strips before applying arrowheads. I then manually added all the extra arrows for the 2-direction exit spaces.

Quote Originally Posted by töff View Post
One Illustrator holygrail trick I haven't figured out how to do yet is to have a path with multiple stroke styles but also with text along it. It would be awesomely useful for street maps. If Illustrator had anything like 3DSmax's instanced geometry, it'd be simple (if if if).
I use expand appearance alot to create shapes and regular strokes once I offset the paths, so in this case all I'd have to do is offset a second path and use it for type. I think I'd still prefer to set my type manually though; it never looks quite right when the computer does it.