Quote Originally Posted by mattperry View Post
And as an open source and linux nut Gimp, Inkscape, etc. are great recommendations.

I've spent decades staring at code, and am trying to be 'creative' for once. So thanks again for the help!
I'm sure you've hit the tutorials section and seen the wide range of Gimp-related documents there. If not, RUN, don't walk, to that section and check them out. I also got a tremendous amount of initial inspiration from these tutorial for photoshop on youtube (don't worry... most of the stuff is applicable to gimp):

http://www.youtube.com/user/ZombieNirvana?blend=2&ob=1

Like you, I'm a linux/gimp/code nut that's been playing with GIMP for many years before I came here. With those tutorials in hand, I was almost immediately creating maps that were, in my mind, startlingly pretty and miraculously simple. I have a tiny bit of artist in me, but not much... its really just a matter of the ease of producing a pretty map once you have a few tricks up your sleeve. In fact, virtually all of my mapping is done using scripts, filters, random noise, and very very general sketches. I promise you will be amazed at what you and your son can produce.

As far as inspiration for maps... that can come from anywhere: video games, fiction writing, role playing, treasure hunting, architecture, or just plain for its own sake. I come from 2 decades of D&D and table top RPG playing, and if you wanted to start out on that I would recommend D&D 4e for its simplicity, consistency, and ease of play. Pathfinder/3.5e, which is what I play, is great but its a lot more complicated and advanced so I don't recommend it for kids and beginners. Otherwise... map the yard, or a spot of woods that your kid likes to play in (do kids still play in woods?), or write a little short story, or something else that is auxiliary to the maps. Making maps will give you the most bang for your buck in terms of time invested and goods produced, IMO.

Good luck! And welcome!