Not sure if Ive just been mildly flamed?

"...basic technique that all Photoshoppers rely upon on..."

If you are a designer then I would possibly agree so - but not all photoshop users are designers, including myself.

I am an IT guy trying to make a commercial "go" of my photographic hobby - the map is to be a "clickable" way to obtain photographs of a particular country. Whilst I am quite happy manipulating photographs in PS and, more likely, in Lightroom you wont be too surprised that Ive never had the occasion to draw a dotted line in a photograph, its just a technique I think a photographer is unlikely to use.

For what its worth, having been working in IT for the better part of 30 years I absolutely hate those who come asking without having done their own legwork first.
So my question was not asked lightly, Id been experimenting and hunting around for a week or so before I came across the forum.

Various techniques for dashed/dotted lines/borders are well documented on the web - such as brush spacings ,colouring+shrinking+deleting layers and also using patterns. None of which gave me the result I am seeking since the border is NOT a simple dashed border. If you look closely at the example it is more than a dashed line since the white segments have a red border.

Being a manipulator of existing images rather than a designer of new images my way of thinking didnt lend itself to resolving the problem - but Coyotemax seems to have pointed me in the direction I was looking for, without feeding me any metaphorical fish!

I need to go experiment a little now.

Many thanks to all that took the time to reply.

Gareth.