Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Alternative Earth Map

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by wormspeaker View Post
    If you haven't read 1984 yet, shame on you.
    Some people are just getting old enough to be held accountable to such a standard (and good luck doing the holding ). And new people keep getting born, so ... seriously, a spoiler is a spoiler for anyone who hasn't read the thing yet.

Guild Journeyer

Quote Originally Posted by töff View Post
    Some people are just getting old enough to be held accountable to such a standard (and good luck doing the holding ). And new people keep getting born, so ... seriously, a spoiler is a spoiler for anyone who hasn't read the thing yet.
    Haha.

<spoiler>In the New Testament, Jesus dies.</spoiler>
    “Maps encourage boldness. They're like cryptic love letters. They make anything seem possible.”
    -Mark Jenkins

Quote Originally Posted by wormspeaker View Post
    <spoiler>In the New Testament, Jesus dies.</spoiler>
    God! You ruined the whole New Testament for me.

Quote Originally Posted by su_liam View Post
    God! You ruined the whole New Testament for me.
    You can still read it. No spoilers, but there's a twist at the end.
    Mapping a Traveller ATU.

See my (fantasy-based) apprenticeship blog at:

http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/cgi-bin/vi...forums&sx=1024

Look for Chit Chat, Sandmann's blog. Enjoy.

SopFreem73

Post Alternative Earth Map

Im afraid I had to go with depressing. Although it started off well, I have to say that I was pretty disturbed for several days after watching the final ep.

It's not a spoiler if it comes so close to the beginning.

Or you could say the end is ... twisted.

Or you could say we're still waiting for the end.

Blog Entries

I've never read 1984, although I read a lot. Still, I know how to use the term "Orwellian" correctly and appreciate terms like big brother and newspeak sufficiently. When the concepts in a classic become pervasive enough in a culture, it is no longer necessary to read the book in order to understand the premise, although your personal context will be less uniform than those who have read the book.

I did recently read "Atlas Shrugged", and I can tell you that it isn't a book that translates well into simple expressions and ideas, and has to be read to be fully appreciated. It is also a dark-future-ish novel, although in Rand's future, the wheels don't just wobble and squeal as they do in 1984, they completely fall off. Fair warning: it's a bit of a slog in parts. Galt's manifesto near the end is a marathon rant. I have a feeling that if Ayn ever starting harping on me, I would have to get up and leave after a few hours for my own sanity.

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    I preferred The Fountainhead to Atlas Shrugged. Though both have very similar philosophies (the whole "virtue of selfishness" thing Rand espouses).
    I've read both but can't say I really like either. Both are tough reads. Orwell managed to make his bleak entertaining (to me anyway) if still depressing. Of course I tried to read The Fountainhead for the first time in fifth grade...alongside Brave New World IIRC. Way too early. I managed Animal Farm in the summer following second grade - but I had no idea what it was really about until I came back to it later on. Maybe I should reread some Rand...it has been a very long time since I gave her a shot (though I did read her last time as an adult so at least I understood it [mostly...lol] )
    M

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast